Wednesday, August 14, 2019

With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo

My name is Emoni Santiago.  I'm 17 years old and I live in Philadelphia, PA.  I attend Schomburg Charter School.  I am in the 12th grade.  I love cooking and blending different herbs and flavors. I should have my whole life ahead of me, right?  For real, though, I can't even think that far ahead about myself.  I don't know what my future holds for me or if I even have a future.  Why?  You see, I'm a teen mom.  I got pregnant when I was in the 9th grade.  All I have is my baby girl and my abuela.  Baby Girl's father, Tyrone is in the picture for Emma, but not for me.  He made that clear early on, even questioning if the baby was really his.   I made a mistake, but it seems like people want to punish me for it for the rest of my life, even my classmates.  Why is it that girls who get pregnant take the brunt of the punishment and the guys get off unscathed?  Well, I'm not having any of it!

It's senior year now.  The school has added a new elective course:  Culinary Arts.  This is right up my ally!  All I want to do is take care of Baby Girl and cook!  Who knows?  Maybe someday I'll be able to work in one of the best restaurants in Philly.  "Wake up, Emoni!  Stop kidding yourself!"  That's the conversation I have with myself everyday.  I have to.  I keep my head up and shoulders back, refusing to be made to feel like I'm less than I am because I got pregnant.  I am fortunate, though.  My abuela; my best friend, Angelica; and my guidance counselor believe in me.  They must see what I can't.  A culinary trip to Spain; a new found confidence and a kind-hearted, selfless new boy begins to turn things around for me and Baby Girl.
 

1 comment:

  1. Since I tell the summary from the main character's perspective, I was not able to add my own feelings until this point. Elizabeth Acevedo has become one of my favorite new authors, and even more so in this poignant telling of Emoni Santiago's journey! While I can't identify with Emoni as a teen mom, I felt her struggle. Ms. Acevedo narrated the story in the audiobook format. I found myself smiling while driving or listening while at work. Emoni was a no-nonsense girl with a very level head. She did have dreams, but maybe they weren't those that others had for her necessarily. She had grit, determination and held onto her hope! If you know young girl in a similar situation, I highly recommend this book! I give you permission to continue to dream big!

    ReplyDelete