Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Black Girl Unlimited: The Remarkable Story of a Teenage Wizard by Echo Brown

You want me to tell you this is a "feel good" story?  I can't.  This is my life.  It's not always pretty, but it's mine.  No one can break me as hard as they try.  My name is Echo Brown and I am a wizard.  Yep...Black girls got magic!  How else could we have existed this long?  I am a survivor of my poverty stricken neighborhood.  That the magic.  My parents are drug addicts, and I'm my only hope in a world of oppression and exploitation.  That the magic.  It's all about the coping.  How do I cope when I feel like everything and everyone is against me?  It's not enough that I have to fight the white world, but I also have to fight the prisons of my neighborhood, my community, my mind.  That the magic.  I move between two worlds:  the East Side and the West Side, but I have to leave pieces of me and everything I know in the East Side.  Regardless of the black veil of depression that threatens me, I transcend that and everything else that tries to hold me back.  I am above; I am not beneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment