Monday, March 25, 2013

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

     
Get up to go to school.  Make sure my little sister, Natty, gets dressed and has breakfast before school.  See to it that Leo, my "special" brother, makes it to work on time.  Nana, my grandmother needs to take her meds.  Come home.  Prepare dinner.  Do homework.  All these things I've done. I am expected to because of who I am.  It is my blood. I am Anya Balanchine, daughter of a now deceased mafia boss.  My mother was murdered and the hit was actually meant for my father.  Then "they" came after my father.  Natty and I witnessed it.  We were playing in his office under his desk when "they" came in.  Daddy shushed us and we were quiet.  As the bullet met his head and his chest, Natty almost screamed, but my hand immediately went to her mouth.  Now, there isn't a night when Natty doesn't have nightmares.  Family is all I have.  They are my responsibility.  They depend on me.  
 Now, I'm accused of an attempted murder.  Murder by chocolate.  Of my ex-boyfriend.  Actually it has been ascertained he was poisoned, but not without dire consequences to his overall health.  Did I forget to mention that chocolate and caffeine are illegal. My family sort of deals it on the black market.  In any event, I'm too practical to be caught, not that I would ever do anything wrong.  After all, I am a Balanchine with much and many to lose.  New evidence proves my innocence and the new district attorney bails me out, but only because he has a personal interest in me and my family business.  His son sort of likes me, and he sort of wants me to stay away from him.  How about telling him to stay away from me?  It's not like I'm chasing him.  But I do find myself liking him.  Maybe even loving him.  Any relationship with me is dangerous and could be deadly.  All these things I've done.

1 comment:

  1. I've definitely been wanting to read this one. Imagine chocolate and coffee being contraband! *gasp!*

    Seriously though, I love the concept of this book and from everyone I've talked to whose read this says the characters are all well written and interesting.

    ReplyDelete