Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Dear Friend,

I know you don't know me, but I hope that you would like to get to know me.  Me is Charlie.  There's not much to me.  People don't see me.  Well, they see me, but they think I'm weird.  It's okay.  I don't mind because sometimes I think I'm weird.  Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me.  I don't "participate" much.  I try...I really do.  I just don't do it the way my family thinks I should.  I would have said, "...the way my friends think I should," but I don't have any.  There was Michael.  He was my friend and he went away.  I'm a freshman and I need to "participate." At the football game I saw these two cool kids.  I work up my nerve and just go talk to them.  Sam and Patrick.  They don't ask why I'm talking to them.  That could because they're seniors.  They look at me.  They see me.  They ask me questions.  They are my best friends now.  Then there's Bill.  He's my English teacher, but he lets me call him "Bill."  Bill gives me all these books to read...books I would have never read on my own.  I don't know why.  He ask me to write essays on them and I do.  My writing is getting better.  Bill says it all the time.  I'm a kid living in a grown-up world, doing grown-up things, making grown-up decisions. Patrick says I'm a wallflower.  That's not good.  Patrick promises me it is.  He says that I see things; I hear things; and I keep quiet about them.  I understand.  A wallflower, huh?  I laugh and I freaking cry.  They see ME! A wallflower chooses to observe instead of experience life.  A wallflower knows a lot about people because he is always watching them when they think no one is paying attention.  A wallflower sees people for who they really are: good and bad.  I don't mind being a wallflower.  Did I settle?  Once Bill told me we accept the love we think we deserve.  I don't know what I deserve. I have to go now, but I will write again......one day. I know you don't know me, but thank you for letting me tell you about me.

Love always,
Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment