Monday, May 20, 2013

Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature by Robin Brande

Right now...today...for the rest of my high school career, I just want to be invisible.  Why?  Well, it started with my right-wing fundamentalist friends being really mean to this kid named Denny.  They were relentless and publicly humiliated him. How could I have been friends with people like that?  In any event, I wish I could say I was innocent, but I went along with them...not so much tormenting him, but laughing when it was done to him. I know, you're ashamed of me.  I'm sure I feel enough shame for myself.  I don't need any help from you.  I'm a coward.  I didn't have the courage to stand up for Denny. Not until he attempted suicide.  I'm so thankful he didn't die, but I should have been braver.  What can I do now?  I write Denny a letter apologizing for everything and the role I played.  That sort of backfired.  Thanks to me, Denny's parents are suing the parents of all those kids involved and the pastor of our church.  Now EVERYONE hates me including my parents.  I love my church and the Lord, but I have been exiled. Ostracized.  Outcast. Poor Denny didn't stand up for himself, but writing that letter, I guess that's what I did....a little too late.  They just broke him....mentally and emotionally.  Now, I have to live with that.  It's a new school year and I am so hoping to put this behind me.  My former friends won't let me.  They hate me and so does the boy I used to like.  I dread going to school. Their feelings toward me are very obvious, even to an outsider.  I didn't stand up for Denny and I can't even stand up for myself.  The most I can hope for is they are not in my classes.  No such luck. Much to my disappointment the haters are there, but so is a boy I've never seen, Casey Connor.   I walk into biology class only to find out we have a group project and I hope I'm not paired with any of my hate fans.  It just so happens I'm paired with Casey.  He's quite interesting and super excited about this class and raves about what a great teacher Ms. Shepherd is.  Introductions are made and she begins this first class with a discussion on evolution.  Oh no!  She did NOT just say EVOLUTION!  These church fanatics are really about to lose it!  Evolve: to develop gradually; to adapt; to turn.  By being in this class, this is what happened to me.  I am Mena. Somewhere along the way, I found my voice. I evolved, yet I'm still myself, but I'm also a freak of nature.  We all are.  I'm not sure what I believe any more, but if those beliefs cause pain to someone else, then I want no part of them.  Sometimes it pays to do the right thing even when you lose some friends, and yourself, along the way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment