Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Wonder by R. J. Palacio [Realistic]

Hi!  My name is Auggie and I'm 10 years old!  But, wait!  Don't turn around! I don't want you to see me.  If it's okay with you (because I know it's okay with me) I'm going to keep my astronaut helmet on or else.  The "or else" is that you might do that thing that most people do and think I don't see.  You know how you first look at someone and in one-millionth of a second, your eyes drop go big because you're either sad for me or afraid of me.  You might run away.  Anyway, I'm in 5th grade and I've always been home-schooled.  I guess my mom and dad did it because I had to have so many surgeries and they didn't know if I'd be strong enough.  So, now all of the sudden, my mom thinks it's a great idea for me to go to school...real school...with real kids!  Is she crazy?  I don't want to!  I don't want people staring at me!  Do I really have a say in this matter?  No.  I have made a few friends, but people act like I have the "cooties" or the "cheese touch" like that kid in Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  So what's wrong with me?  Nothing.  I just look a little different because I have this craniofacial disorder.  My eyes are where they're really supposed to be, and when I'm smiling, you can't even tell I'm smiling, but believe me, I smile.  In fact, this next year of my life, I'm going to do things I never thought I'd do!

No comments:

Post a Comment